Since 2014 the Bavarian Museum Academy offers a certification course for graduate students as well as recent university graduates. The course aims to provide future museum professionals with an overview of the core concepts of museum work, to alert them to challenges and problem areas as well as teach them the basic competences relating to their future workplace. Our special focus lies on combining a theoretical foundation with practical application regarding the range of museum tasks: collection, archive work, scholarly research, exhibition and education.
The training programme consists of twenty modules. The trainees must participate in fifteen courses of the Bavarian Museum Academy’s general programme as well as assist the curation of an exhibition project. These are listed by module number under upcoming events. Each course can only be accredited to one module. Due to the organization in models rather than weekly courses, we offer our participants a highly flexible and diverse training course which they may tailor to their individual interests and capacity.
• Humanities and Cultural Studies graduates in their postgraduate degree course or recent graduates (e.g. Bachelor, Master, Magister Artium or PhD)
• All graduates from other disciplines relevant to museum work
Each trainee commits to
• Completing 15 modules taking place predominantly in Munich, 7 with a record of achievement
• Participating in an exhibition project
• Writing a final dissertation
• The course is designed to be completed within twelve months.
• An extension of up to three years is possible in exceptional circumstances.